Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Reaching the Bottom


im in a spot, I've been living in a tent in the woods for a week but it's flooded in. Is there any way I could crash with you for the night?”

It was the morning after and reading the message made my heart stutter. Guilt that I hadn't seen it sooner collided with relief that I hadn't seen it sooner and left me very nearly tied up in knots. I replied carefully, reminding him again where the shelters were and encouraging him to get help and stay on his meds but having been to this rodeo several times, I wasn't optimistic I didn't expect and didn't get an answer.

God watches over fools and drunks,” my grandmother used to say. Maybe so, but He rarely interferes and the least I can do is follow His example. I have lived with the effects of addiction all my life and it took years to understand the perils of enabling. My heart hurts for this boy, but my mind knows that a couch at my house, even if I had one to offer, is not the solution. I can't afford the inevitable damage he would cause. And I will not be the one who gets between him and his reaching the bottom. Bottom is his only hope.
















No comments: