Saturday, April 21, 2018

New Math


I plunk my single box of $12.99 hanging folders on the counter and the cashier rings it up.

$24.94,” she tells me.

I slide my card into the machine and then it hits me.

Wait,” I say, “How is one $12.99 purchase with 9% sales tax $24.94?”

She glares. Gives an indifferent shrug. Tells me to remove my card. Doesn't tell me it's my fault but I know she's thinking it. I narrow my eyes to read the credit card capture machine and it's clear as day:

Hanging folders $12.99
Tax $1.95
Total $24.94

New math?” I inquire without even trying not to be sarcastic.

A second, angry glare and a second shrug. She clears the machines and grudgingly re-rings the sale.

$14.94,” she tells me finally but I notice that she won't meet my eyes.

No explanation. No apology. And most definitely, no “Thanks for shopping Office Depot”.

It doesn't even surprise me anymore.












No comments: