Monday, April 03, 2017

An Anniversary Wish

The boy I once wanted so desperately to marry has just celebrated his 46th wedding anniversary and I can't help but smile.

I can barely remember how young and foolish and innocent we were then.  It would never have lasted, of course, but at the time I was so blinded by possibility that I couldn't see how it could ever have gone wrong. I imagined a cottage on the edge of the sea, with a fireplace for the winter and a vegetable garden for summer. I'd learn to make bread and fish chowder, we'd drink honeysuckle tea year 'round and raise dairy cows or maybe rabbits. There'd be a cat for every window sill and a whole pack of dogs to keep us company when we were snowed in on the long winter nights. Come spring, we'd invite family and friends in and make our own music on the veranda until it was summer again and then we'd go berry picking or fishing in the cove or shell collecting along the shore. Youth knows no limits and young love no shackles. Seasons, however, come and go and come again as new. Landscapes change and rarely go back to what they were. It's easy to get lost in the world you leave behind, to mourn for it and remember it better than it really was but reality is a obstinate, determined sort of creature and will have its way. Put 1500 miles and an ocean between lovers and they will move on.

That was the last summer I was to spend on my beloved island. I was seventeen, he was twenty and although we kept in touch for a time, it was mostly superficial. Like it or not, both our lives were already neatly laid out and the summer - while a blissful and precious time – had been only temporary. He packed his old Chevy with his books and his grade twelve diploma and got a job with the mainland newspaper and a one room apartment that overlooked the water. Not long after, he met his wife. I dutifully went to college and stalled for time and it was some sixteen years before I saw him again and then only for a moment. I remember feeling warmed by the fact that he was as good looking as he'd ever been, that his smile hadn't changed the least little bit and that he was so clearly well and happy. Marriage, children and island life agreed with him.

Wish you had time to meet my wife,” he told me.

Me too,” I said and to my surprise, realized it was true.

That was over 30 years ago and now he's a grandfather, happily retired, growing roses in a cottage with an ocean view and celebrating his 46th anniversary with a lady I never got to meet but suspect I would like. Probably a lot.

Well played, old friend.













No comments: