Monday, January 23, 2017

A Small Theft

The icing on the cake of this nightmarish move is that while we are unpacking the van, the cur dog makes his escape through the garage door and cheerfully trots out onto the front lawn.

Odds that he will venture more than a few yards from Michael are so slim that neither of us pay much attention until I notice that he's wandered off to the yard next door and is quietly investigating what looks like a chunk of rock, nosing it around on the ground and watching it intently but not barking or showing any signs of aggression. I put down an armload of clothes and walk in his direction, intending to lead/haul/drag him back to his own yard and then I realize that the chunk of rock has ears and a tail and is moving. He's found a tiny, black and tan Yorkie and is very pleased with himself.

I scoop up this little bundle and with the cur dog protectively at my heels, walk back to our yard and into the house where I deposit him in one of the kennels for safekeeping. Michael's four dogs go a little mad with curiosity but he doesn't make a sound, content to sit wide eyed and alert and watch.

Upon closer inspection, we discover he's dirty and badly matted and has not been neutered.
He's not emaciated but he is thin and undernourished - I can feel his backbone - and while he has a collar, there are no tags attached. Even if I wanted to, there is no one to call. When we finish for the day, I tuck him under my arm and whisk him away for a bath and haircut from my friend, Jean, then take him home with me. He makes friends with my dogs at once and for the most part, ignores the cats. He sleeps on my lap and seems to be house trained but just in case, he spends the night in a spare kennel and makes no protest. You'd hardly know he was there.

Two days later, I see his picture on a lost dog post on social media but I don't rush to make contact with his owners. They write that he “usually” comes right back when they put him out unattended and this gives me serious pause. You don't routinely put a 5 pound dog out on a busy city street in a sketchy neighborhood without supervision and then get to be surprised when he doesn't come home. I struggle with this for all of 20 seconds before deciding that morally I need to do what it best for him and returning him isn't it.


My conscience twinges once or twice but my heart is ok with it.






No comments: