Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Second Thoughts

You don't have to be in this old world very long before you learn that people will disappoint you, but somehow the later life surprises leave a bitter taste. Recently I've seen a woman friend beneath her mask and it wasn't pretty. I wasn't so much troubled by finding the malice and anger underneath as I was by never suspecting there was a mask at all. Where, I wonder, was my natural cynicism in the face of all this goodness and light?

To be honest, I suppose I'm more annoyed with my own self for not seeing more clearly. I've known her for years, always admired and respected her, held her up as an example and even tried to emulate her at times. I've never heard her say or seen her write anything even in the neighborhood of ugly about anyone, not ever. She was a model of kindness, of charity, of fairness. When she was maligned at a difficult time after a nasty breakup, she never answered in kind, always embracing the idea that you never know the battles or demons others are fighting. I've defended her and was proud and grateful to call her a friend. Even when faced with proof of the harm she's tried to do, my mind fights against it.

The betrayal is made sharper because I'm not one who sees the good in everyone. Again, to be honest, I gave up looking years ago. If there's a lesson here, maybe it's about my own flaws and how I can still be taken in.   We're all easy prey for someone.


No comments: