Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Truth About Elsie Pyne

Elsie Pyne turned her first trick in the back alley of a Halifax hotel when she was fourteen. It was, she often said, the easiest and quickest twenty bucks she ever made and, she was proud to add, she never looked back.

Twenty dollars and a a bottle of perfume! she gloated when she told us about it.

Ruthie and I were horrified.

No, you didn't! Ruthie exclaimed, here eyes wide with shock, Liar!

Elsie produced a carefully folded, still crisp $20 bill from her bra and laughed.

Did so too! she chirped, And I'm gon' do it again! It ain't nothin'!

You cain't! Ruthie said a little desperately and then lowered her voice to a harsh whisper, Daddy says girls who take money for.........like that......they's whores! Bound for hell, he says!

I ain't worried 'bout goin' to no hell, Ruth, Elsie snapped defiantly, and I ain't washin' no more dishes in that dirty ol' cafe neither! And you, girl, she added, scowling and taking a step toward Ruthie who instantly backed up, You ain't tellin' nobody nothin' 'bout this or I'll be seein' you black and blue all over!

The threat made Ruthie pale and bite down on her lower lip. Hard. So hard I thought it might bleed.

You could come home, Elsie, I said tentatively, I heard Miz McIntyre's lookin' for help in the store.

Bet Rawlie'd give you your old job back in a New York minute, Ruthie added.

I ain't gon' be nobody's shop girl, Elsie said grimly, And I sure as hell ain't gon' go back to shovelin' fish guts in that goddamn factory neither! I'm gittin' out! You jist see if I don't!

Considering that people who lead idle lives meddle, gossip travels and men talk, it was nothing short of remarkable that no one ever found out. Ruthie and I grew up, learned a little more about the world and got over our horror. Sometimes on a Sunday morning, Elsie might be home for the weekend and would come to church. She always arrived just a little late and sat alone but after services, there would be just a hint of “Evening in Paris” in the air and a crisp, neatly folded $20 bill in the collection basket.


No comments: