Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Who's Crazy Now

One of the hardest lessons life has to offer is this:  If you let crazy into your life, don’t expect it to leave quietly.  Crazy is a hanger-on, a master of disguises and scarier still, it can be contagious.  Crazy adapts.  Crazy takes over.  Crazy is cunning.  Crazy will make you think it's you.

At some point – after we were married – my second husband mentioned that he was what he called sort of adopted.  His mother was his mother, he assured me, but the man she was married to was actually his stepfather.   Out of curiosity, I asked about his biological father and was casually told that he had been a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic who died in an asylum.  He knew his name but otherwise claimed to have no memories of him.  I suppose if there had been internet then, I might have done a little research and might have taken note of the fact that schizophrenia seems to be at least partially genetic and is commonly accompanied by alcoholism.  Then again, I might not have.  The negative symptoms – emotional flatness, apathy, lack of speech – were all there in plain view but I saw them more as personality quirks.  He was a very angry man, broken in several places and not looking for help.  He wanted more than anything to drink in peace and solitude, to be left alone with his demons.  Even in later years when things took a turn toward violence, I didn’t see it.  By then I was fairly convinced that I was to blame.  I thought I’d taken a quiet, harmless drunk and turned him into a mean, abusive son of a bitch drunk.  I didn’t know it at the time, but it was the beginning of the end.  My desperation and anger, fueled mostly by fear and shame, finally led me to Al-Anon and Al-Anon eventually led me back to sanity and reality.  I held on for several more years although I think in my heart, I knew that the marriage had almost no chance of survival after my first six months of meetings. Of course what you know and what you’re willing to act on are two very distinct things – it took a long time to learn to change my thinking – it took even longer to learn the courage to leave.

I still think of him every now and again, mostly with a sense of sadness and a powerful regret.
I would like to think that he found some peace of mind, some help, some way to reconcile with his children.  Last I heard and it was years ago, he’d returned to his roots and his first wife in Kentucky.  I haven’t heard anything since and I don’t go looking.  For a long while I was convinced he’d end up dead or in jail – there were some nasty incidents of domestic abuse with his third wife – and I wouldn’t have been too distressed  or surprised to learn he’d come to a bad end.  Turns out he wasn’t the only one who was angry and broken in several places.

Lewis Carroll wrote, “ I can’t go back to yesterday.  I was a different person then.”

Aren’t we all and isn’t it a blessing.







No comments: