Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Weather Gods

In the early morning dark, a sudden and violent crash of thunder sets the walls to vibrating.   I nearly jump out of my skin, the dogs are startled awake and it sends the cats scurrying for shelter.  A few seconds later the skies open and the next wave of storms is unleashed. It's been the rainiest damn spring in anyone's memory - there've been days even weeks at a time of dark clouds, constant storms, a misery of cold - it's almost May and I've yet to turn on the central air even once.  The weather gods are clearly as displeased with us as we are with them and primitive as the thought may be, I'm beginning to think that some sort of human sacrifice might be required.  As it happens, I'm at no great loss for candidates.

It clears out and there's sunshine by noon but the slight chill in the air hangs on.  Then from nowhere there's a tremendous clap of thunder with a gunshot edge to it - it terrifies the work dogs who happen to be outside at the time and they trip over each other trying to get inside - this is followed by a brief but intense sun shower. The old pit bull mix, obscenely overweight and half crippled with hip problems, suddenly turns into a guided missile,  radar equipped to find his way under my desk where he cowers for the next hour and a half.  It would be comical except that his terror is so genuine.  I let him stay, talking to him gently and trying to calm his fear but I suspect it's mostly useless.  He eventually crawls out, looking pitiful and a little ashamed, awkwardly climbs up onto the sofa, buries his head beneath the cushions and after a few restless maneuvers, falls asleep. 

My own dogs, at about a tenth of his weight, are far braver and more manageable.  Loud noise gets their attention but as a general rule doesn't incapacitate them and they're more likely to try and comfort me than me them.  As threatening and imposing as the pit appears, on the inside he's just an old softy, as mellow as molasses, even tempered and dignified, hopelessly affectionate.

Unfortunately he's also the size of a small calf.  

The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances ~ Buddha















  

No comments: