Monday, October 06, 2014

A Passing Storm

I wake to wave of vicious thunderstorms.  Lightning cracks like tree branches and for several minutes the house is under a wild assault of hail - it slams into the windows and echoes like fireworks - the small brown dog barely seems to notice but the little dachshund turns unexpectedly gun shy - his eyes widen and he crawls into my lap and trembles.  I stroke him, speak softly in my best reassuring voice, hold him tightly, but it isn't enough.  He's never minded storms before, turning just a little restless when the thunder is close, but the hail is a new and frightening thing and it breaks my heart to see him so afraid.  My second thoughts are for the outside cats and the half grown kitten and I say a small prayer that they've found some sort of shelter from the storm.  The rain beats hard and cold, a dismal and heartless thing with no mercy and even though it's nearly eight in the morning, it's still pitch black outside.  Just when I think the worst is over, a second round of hail begins slamming into the windows and pelting the roof.  

It's just noise, I tell the little dachshund, it can't hurt you.  

The lights start to flicker then and keeping him tucked under one arm, I scurry to light a half dozen candles, just in case.  After several more minutes, one storm center passes but another is right at its heels.  I can hear water cascading down the gutters, the walls vibrate with the force of the thunder.  Nature reminding us of our insignificance, my daddy used to say.

Slowly, slowly, slowly, the sky begins to lighten and the thunder and lightning begin to ease.  The rain is still coming down like a monster but the noise fades and the little dachshund begins to breathe more evenly.  I set him on the floor gently and after a few seconds he lies down on his side and falls asleep.

It's almost over, I tell him quietly, no harm done.

By nine, the rain is barely noticeable and I can hear birds singing in the azaleas and a distant train whistle. Both dogs are peacefully asleep on the bed and the cats have come out from hiding.

You'd never know the world had almost come to an end.



No comments: