Friday, July 04, 2014

Shades of Beige

If my life had depended on it, I couldn’t have told you what I expected from my first meeting.

Being chronically afraid of arriving late, I’d driven the route to the old church the night before to be sure I wouldn’t lose my way and on the actual meeting day, I invented a migraine and left work a half hour earlier than necessary.    It seemed foolish to care so much about punctuality - surely being late wouldn’t keep you out, I told myself - but we are what we are and I was determined to be on time.  I pulled into the church parking lot with thirty-five minutes to spare, more than enough time to change my mind, not quite enough to find the courage to actually do it.

It was early October, cool to the point of chilly, well dark by six-thirty and the church, sitting high on a hill overlooking the grimy city, was caught in a crossfire of wind.  It whistled around me, crooning it almost seemed, reminding me of the loons that used to call to each other after sundown when I was a child spending summers on my grandmother’s farm.   A school-sized milk carton skittered roughly across the pavement, a glossy newspaper page flew directly in front of the windshield.  Winter would be here any day, I thought, in a month it would be cold enough to snow.  I badly wanted to turn the ignition key and head the old Volvo wagon to the empty apartment on Dead Horse Hill.  Telling myself it wasn’t a fit night to be out - I was hungry and headachy, had forgotten my gloves and was wearing only a light jacket that offered next to no protection from the wind - I gave the key a hard twist and the engine roared to life.  Home and safety was twenty minutes away.  The door to the church was only a few steps across the parking lot.

“God, give me strength, “ I said outloud, turned off the engine and headed into the wind.

The meeting room, as plain vanilla as the church was gingerbread, was tucked away at the end of a long, fluorescent lit, maze-like collection of corridors in the church basement.   Hand lettered signs and arrows were tacked at each intersection and turn of the carefully, neutral, non-threatening walls.  The carpet (threadbare in places) was beige, the ceiling (in need of paint) was beige.   There were beige bulletin boards hung on beige walls, push bars instead of doorknobs, and no windows.   I followed the signs and arrows, faintly distracted by the possibility that I if I were to drown, I might disappear in a veritable sea of beige.  And then without warning, I was at the last set of beige double doors.
“Al Anon”, the hand printed sign read.  And underneath, “ AA” with a smudgy arrow pointing back the way I’d come.

I hated new things, unfamiliar places, first times.  I hated doing things I’d never done before or feared I couldn’t do well.  I had no gift for small talk with friends let alone strangers.  I’d forgotten what a genuine smile even felt like.  I was afraid of crowds.  All things considered, I thought, it was some mild form of insanity to think that some old, sorry, clichéd self- help group would be of any use.  I had my pride, my privacy, three cats depending on me and a husband locked up in a sterile and unfriendly alcoholism treatment center.  I wasn’t about to admit or advertise my troubles to a bunch of losers or religious do-gooders.   I was thinking I’d go home to the little apartment on Dead Horse Hill, forget all this nonsense and crawl into bed until tomorrow when the door suddenly swung inward and open. 

“Welcome to Al Anon,” a pretty, young, well dressed blonde carrying a tray full of coffee mugs said to me, ”I’m Alma.  You can sit anywhere.”

And for no good or comprehensible reason, standing there in that lonely, windowless hall with its harsh lights, the smell of coffee, and this sweet-faced stranger, I began to cry.

“Please,” she said gently, “You’ve come this far.  It’s only a few more steps.”  She balanced the tray with one hand - it trembled slightly and on sheer reflex I reached out a hand to help her steady it - she took a step back and leaned toward me with a confidential smile.  “Besides,” she stage whispered, “We have cookies.”
“Oh, well,”  I somehow managed a shaky smile, “If there are cookies…..”

The room was as colorlessly beige as the hall with a wide circle of what my grandmother would have called card table chairs lining the walls.  A table just inside the double doors offered an array of books, pamphlets, t shirts.  Another was neatly laid out with a Styrofoam cups, paper napkins and plastic spoons and a chirping coffee pot.  Two paper plates held an assortment of cookies, chocolate chip, oatmeal, raisin.  Hung above the tables were brightly colored if tattered posters held in place with scotch tape, the Serenity Prayer crookedly centered between The Twelve Steps and The Twelve Traditions.  Above them, a 20x30 sheet of poster board proudly proclaimed the name of the group, its meeting times and in heavy black script an invitation to Take what you need and leave the rest.

“Your first time?” a voice at my elbow asked quietly.

A woman, about my age, holding a chocolate chip cookie in one hand and a small blue book in the other, smiling at me.  She had kind eyes.

“I’m Denise,” she said matter-of-factly, “ I know the first time is the hardest.  You’re welcome to sit next to me.”  

I hesitated, not at all sure I could handle this much kindness.  She smiled again, nodded to the round clock on the wall.

“I’m sitting right under the clock,” she told me then added, “It gets better, hon, it really does.”

I don’t remember most of what was said or who said it.  I do remember that there were very few empty chairs, that it was mostly women in them, that there were horror stories I’d never imagined a person could live with, and that somewhere along the way, the knots in my belly untangled and I began to chip away at the walls I’d built for myself. 

Hope is a funny thing, sometimes elusive and hard to hold onto, sometimes hiding in plain sight, sometimes just around the next corner.  I’d hoped to learn how to make my husband stop drinking and instead was taught about detachment, patience, boundaries, self-esteem and faith.

Hope had blindsided me.



No comments: