Thursday, June 13, 2013

Love & Other Expectations

No question about it, if someone was to invent love recognition software, I'd invest down to my last dime.

I haven't given up, not precisely, but the search has worn me down considerably and made me a tad cynical. It's too effortless and comfortable to fall in love when you're young and surrounded by magic ,too trying and time consuming when you're old and have become set in your ways. All the loves of my life have come and gone - passing through like the seasons, always on the way to changing - leaving me to wonder if any were real.

With every beginning, at least so I told myself, I was absolutely, positively, rock solid sure I was on good ground, that such feelings couldn't be anything but love. With each ending, I was equally certain that there would be another chance - mistakes are the best teaching tools, after all, and I was resilient, optimistic, and overflowing with dreams. We are meant to be paired, I told myself, meant to be in tandem and headed in the same direction, designed to search and find a soulmate. After two marriages/divorces - some might say failures - the perfect match was proving annoyingly elusive but I kept faith with the dream and the idea of a forever love, stubbornly refusing to let go.

In the end, I returned to the first and possibly only genuine love I'd ever known - my feelings for animals had been a constant since I first laid eyes on a cardboard box of puppies and been told to choose. Here I knew where I stood, here I was needed and loved without conditions, here I would have given my life to protect another small one. There was no wondering, no second thoughts, no fear for the future. Whether I'm holding a dog or a cat or a chinchilla, nursing a baby raccoon back to health and independence or sitting by the cage of a majestic white tiger, I know what it is to love and it's not what I had always believed - it's far simpler and straightforward and was always within me, right on the surface and waiting for me to find it. I just had to get past the white knights and other expectations.

Love is a warmth that pours outward from the soul, a mysterious and hard to define emotion, far too often confused with other more superficial feelings. I discovered it the instant my daddy placed a sleepy, warm and sweet smelling black and tan daschound puppy in my arms. I was too young to recognize a life altering moment, too much of a child to realize that destiny had just brushed by me, too innocent to comprehend that love doesn't always stand on two feet. I still expected the same feeling to one day overcome me in human form, to find the man I was meant for and live the story book ending. When it's all said and done, a part of me still does - but it's a small part, a whisper, really, and it goes suddenly silent the moment I pick up an animal. It's a non-traditional view of love, I know and I suppose there are people who might think me odd, if they are charitable or delusional, if they are not. But what I feel for animals is something so fundamental, so deeply rooted and just plain right, that I suspect I will never really feel it with a partner. I knew it the moment the tiny daschound pup snuggled into my neck, as surely as I've ever known anything since. There is, between me and my animals, absolute trust, unconditional love, tolerance and patience. We have the same needs - food, shelter, acceptance, security, the occasional afternoon nap, and the same goals, to live quietly and spend our time well. Unorthodox, perhaps, but genuine love isn't limited or confined or always inside the lines like a coloring book. When I began to understand that love comes in all shapes and sizes, that it can't be boxed in or assigned like a part in a play, that it can't be fabricated or manufactured, I also began to understand myself on a different level. The simplest truths are often hidden in plain sight and here was one: In the event of fire or flood or other natural disaster, my husbands were on their own, my first and only priority would be the lives of my animals. Not surprisingly, this revelation wasn't received with much grace but rather with disbelief and surprise, both of which turned to resentment. Here's another: The safety and well being of my animals mattered more to me than either of my marriages - the shock of this awareness was almost heart stopping and forced me to reexamine my motives and my very purpose - except that I had known it all along.

I've learned a few things about love since then. In all its forms, whether between consenting adults, parent and child, siblings or best friends, even between a little girl and her first puppy, it's a rare gift. Some of us search for it, some stumble over it, some do without. But my heart has known it all my life, just not as most of us expect. So if someone does invent love recognition software, I'll get in line, cross my fingers, pay my two dollars and let the fates do as they will.

Meanwhile, there's no need to look for love. Thanks to a cardboard box of puppies at the age of five and a wiggly, tiny bundle of soft fur with big brown eyes, I found it early and it's still everywhere I look. Traditional or not, I'm surrounded and my heart is full.




No comments: