Saturday, September 01, 2012

Spell Check


I'm the first to admit that I'm a spelling/grammar snob but lately I've begun to feel a little like William Holden correcting Judy Holiday in "Born Yesterday".  In just one day, I've seen the following on a social networking site:  


Bare with me.
(This or that) shouldn't be aloud.
People effected by ( whatever )
It's to much to think about.
Your the man.

Literacy, it seems, is fast becoming an outdated custom, gone the way of the dinosaurs.  Have we really gotten that stupid or lazy or careless?  I don't judge by color or dress or religion or even political leanings but I confess - if you can't spell or punctuate (and are out of elementary school), I'm not going to take you seriously.

Language is an art and shouldn't be abused.  Words have meanings and aren't meant to be interchangeable.

Go jump in a lake is not the same as Go jump into a lake.

Helping your Uncle Jack off the horse is not the same as Helping your uncle jack off the horse.

Spell check.
Dictionary.
Your choice.





No comments: