Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Move On, Charlie


It can't be easy being a celebrity but somehow it makes me feel a little better that a well known face doesn't exempt you from life's ordinary ups and downs or protect you from your own stupidity. Truth is, I'm world weary of Charlie Sheen, Michelle Bachman, Brittany Spears and Rick Perry and I don't give a damn if Michael Douglas still smokes. For all the public faces that want to tell me what's in my best interests, get over it and get on with it, folks - the ship's going down and you're arranging deck chairs. If you can't feed your family on $400K a year, then there's something wrong with your eating habits - it's time we gave up on the idea that America is a classless society. I'm thinking I may vote a write in ballot - Warren Buffet for President, at the very least we'd get tax reform and maybe a touch of civility in politics.

I love my president. He's elegant and educated, well mannered and honest. I believe he's dedicated and sincere and willing to fight for fairness and peace but he's caught in a den of thieves and fools, surrounded by those who seek his political if not actual destruction. He's an idealist still, too much of a gentleman to fight on their terms and I fear he will not get a second chance to turn things around - the opposition is too committed to the rich and the corrupt, too busy lining their own pockets and insuring their personal places of power. Class warfare may not be a phrase they like - unless it works in their benefit - but it's securely in place in this country and will not be evicted or changed. When politicians can't pass a bill for disaster relief funding for those in the most dire need, it's time to Move On, Charlie - we've forgotten the basics in favor of getting re-elected.

I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
No matter what it is,
Or who commenced it,
I'm against it!

Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
And even when you've changed it,
Or condensed it,
I'm against it!

The Marx Brothers
"Horsefeathers"

Used to be, I could tell the difference between politics and a Marx Brothers movie.






No comments: