Monday, August 08, 2011

Another Handsome, Brown Eyed Man


He was taller than I expected with an absolute mane of silvery hair and a well defined, classically handsome face made up of creases and smile lines. This was a man with sparkle in his eyes and love of music clearly written all over his features - it couldn't help but show. He took my extended hand with a firm grip and a grin and asked that I make him look as good as possible in my pictures - as if, I thought but did not say, it would actually be difficult.

Despite the fact that such judgements are invariably subjective, I have known my share of good looking men and I admit - without reservation - that I'm an easy touch for shaggy haired, mustached, brown eyed men in gold rimmed glasses, men who might appear to less discerning eyes, as what some novels call "rough trade" and what most people I know, are pleased to call scruffy. For me, jeans and boots and an open throated shirt will defeat a clean cut three piece suit every time - expensive clothes and cologne may sell the product but a truly charismatic man needs neither - everything about him whispers seduction and moonlight. It's been that my experience that most such men are lengthily and happily married, usually with wives that they write songs for and wide open hearts. Or
oblivious of the effect they have on the opposite sex. Or gay. They are always, however, dedicated and rich in talent and it's a pure pleasure to do no more than look at them.

This particular night was a sell out with a hushed and attentive audience - he had been a local boy and had many fans and friends in the crowd as musicians often do. The music was infectious and everyone knew the words, they sang along on the choruses and yelled for more. I searched for clear angles to shoot from and as always, cursed the array of microphones and equipment - it's hard enough to find an unobstructed viewpoint for a guitar or harmonica player, almost impossible when your target plays a keyboard, but in the end I was pleased with my own work and left hot and tired but well satisfied.

I do love photographing handsome, brown eyed men.


No comments: