Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grinch-ness


Another Thanksgiving nears and with it a flood of memories, some good and some bad.

Family dinners at my grandmother's, my in laws, in restaurants - everything from turkey and all the trimmings to tuna fish sandwiches on white bread. After so many years of forced participation, I'm grateful for the opportunity to retreat and sleep late. When it comes to holidays, especially those of the traditional family variety, I am an unapologetic grinch. I appreciate all the invitations and the thoughtfulness of friends who worry about my being alone but I take a pass - I am, by nature, a solitary person and alone is a gift I give myself - it's almost impossible to find such time anymore.

Like sinking into a good novel, I bury myself beneath the covers and let my dreams take over. The animals come and go and without deadlines and obligations, sleep comes easily and often. I may read or watch old movies, may pack my camera gear and take a drive or do nothing at all. Time slows just a bit and there's no need to watch the clock -there's nothing I have to do and nowhere I have to be - these few hours are mine alone, to be productive, to
by pass regular routines, even to waste if I choose. This is strategically planned and serious grinch-ness.

In the long run, trying to please anyone but yourself is an exercise in futility. It's good to be nice, to be thoughtful, to take the needs and wants of others into consideration, to be kind and lend a helping hand, even to sacrifice when it truly matters but we all choose which road we travel and who we travel with. After a certain age, your dues are paid, your priorities change, you can wear funny hats as well as purple, you can not answer the door or the telephone. You can even write what you really think and not be bothered if someone disagrees.

Be kind to your inner grinch and set it free.







No comments: