Sunday, July 18, 2010

Passin' Through


It was a warm night and the three of them and the dog were sprawled on the sidewalk just outside the bar. My first thought was how young they were - two boys and a girl, all in ragged clothing and looking a little worse for wear. The dog came to me immediately and the girl was quick to point out that he was friendly. She had come into the bar earlier in the evening with two empty water bottles, had them filled, and slipped out - I'd barely noticed her. Now, she cupped her hands and poured water into them and the dog drank politely then nuzzled her neck in thanks. Her name's Venus, one of the boys offered and at the sound of her name, the dog cocked her head at him. We're just passin' through, m'am, the girl told me although I hadn't asked, Can you help us out? The dog looked up at me, hopefully I thought though I knew it wasn't really so. Where ya'll going? I asked and the girl grinned, California! Of course, the voice in my head remarked, where else? It's always California or Florida - sun, sand, a beach to sleep on and easy times.

I don't quite know why - it might have been their youth, their slightly dirty but innocent faces, the 60's image that they evoked or it might have just been the dog - but I dug in my pocket and handed over a ten dollar bill. Good luck! I told them and found that I really meant it. Thank you, m'am, they called after me, We really appreciate it!
I knew I would miss that ten dollars but even if it had been misspent, the gesture had made me feel good. Whether given or received, small kindnesses tend to do that.

Maybe they'll find a beach and easy times, maybe not. Maybe they'll get jailed in Mississippi or Alabama where free spirits are suspect. Maybe they'll make it all the way through and call home somewhere on the road. Maybe they're runaways or local kids with an knack for panhandling - whatever their travels bring, I wish them well.

Oh, and m'am, the girl called after me, Just so you know, we always feed the dog first!

Nice touch.

No comments: