Monday, April 28, 2008

Behind The Lens


Social fever and small talk syndrome are relatively unknown disorders. Few if any study either, grant money is hard to come by, and the interest in such minor afflictions is minimal. I am a victim of both.

Signs are easily recognizable - genetic shyness, hating to be the center of attention in any situation (i.e a birthday),
inability to carry on small, insignificant conversations, fear of crowds (even of people you know and like), avoidance of parties (even for people you know and love), an overall wish to find a small space to hide in and/or disappear, a tendency to arrive late and leave early and an oft seen and heard streak of sarcasm. It's not uncommon for victims to be misdiagnosed as unfriendly, cold, distant, or even rude. We are better with paper than people, more comfortable with a handful of friends than a roomful. We don't perform or make scenes or try to stand out. We are quiet and inconsequential people, ordinary to a fault and want no part of any limelight. People who know me well enough realize that it's the main reason I carry a camera - my comfort zone in a social setting is behind the lens - it provides a small but sturdy barrier which frees me and protects me against too much social interaction and it is mostly respected. With camera in hand, I am usually allowed the space I need - people tend to notice it and not me.

No drug or therapy or miracle cure has yet been found for these foolish, quirky flaws. I weave around them by putting on a happy face and a smile and doing the best I can, hoping that no one will notice, hoping that the genuineness of the hugs and smiles I get will relieve my anxiety. It doesn't happen often but I'm grateful for each time I make it through.



No comments: