Sunday, August 05, 2007

Life in the Movies


The darkened theatre smelled of popcorn and candy bars. My friend Iris and I sat high in the balcony watching "Lawrence of Arabia", absolutely transfixed by Peter O'Toole's blazing blue eyes and remarkable good looks. It felt like magic. Some time later, I would flee that same theatre in sobs, my heart in pieces at the death of Old Yeller, utterly unable to comprehend that it was make believe. I was an adult by the time I happened on "The Yearling" but the reaction was the same and I cried for hours, unable to distinguish fiction from reality. I have never seen "The Lion King", or "The Horse Whisperer", still can't watch "Bambi" and fast forward over the scene where Atticus Finch shoots a rabid dog in "To Kill a Mockingbird". I've gotten through "Babe" though it took several attempts, and I've learned to watch certain movies by avoiding certain scenes - "Dances With Wolves" for example. Now and again I can get most of the way through some of the episodes of "All Creatures Great and Small" but I do it on full alert, ever ready to punch the mute button and look away.

It's been pointed out to me that disaster movies give me no such pause and that I can watch hour after hour of serial murdering without the first twinge yet can't bear to watch a dog or cat who simply looks sad or lonely. I have no explanation other than when people die, I know it's a movie and when animals die or are injured, I don't. Perhaps it's a glitch in my nature or a missing gene or just wanting to believe that if I don't watch, then they won't suffer. I have discovered that I'm not alone in this though - ask someone who saw "Old Yeller" when they were kid and most will tell you they were devestated if not affected for life.

Give me a crime drama any day.
















No comments: